An avowed intention to launch a formal Association at the 7th SLIBFI Conference has come to fruition with the launch of the Association of Alternate Financial Institutions (AAFI). With representation from all segments of the industry, straddling Banking, Takaful, Leasing and Capital Markets, AAFI is set to blaze a new path in the IBF industry in Sri Lanka.
The 8th SLIBFI Conference, scheduled for 17th May 2016 is expected to cover new ground, and, importantly, from a fresh perspective. New players will discuss contemporary issues with some of the veterans of the industry in a series of panel discussions. These would encompass most of the latest developments in the industry, not least of which would be the Sukuk, which has gained fresh momentum as a result of the Budget Speech by the Hon. Minister of Finance, in which the subject enjoyed special mention. The IBF industry’s contribution to the overall economy would also be discussed, whilst the increasing importance of Managing Risk in IFI’s, Marketing and New Product Development, and HR, are some of the discussions that would feature prominently.
OUR SPEAKERS ON BOARD THUS FAR……………….
(In Alphabetical order)
Azad Zaheed, Associate Director, Adl Capital
Fazly Marikar, Head of Strategic Planning & New Product Initiatives, Amana Bank
Feroza Ameen – Chief Manager, Al Adalah, Commercial Bank
Hussain Buhary, Executive Director /CEO, Asset Link
Imruz Kamil, Head of Islamic Finance, ARIJ Richard Peiris
Krishan Thilakaratne – General Manager, Al-Falaah LOFC
Mohamed Azmeer, CEO, Amana Bank
Muath Mubarak, Lecturer, First Global Academy
Nadheer Siddeeq, Manager, Al Falaah Takaful – LOLC General Insurance
Naushervan Beg, Senior Member, Financial Services & Capital Markets Industry
Nazeefa Fowzer, Lecturer- Business School, APIIT
Nimalika Sooriyaarachchi, AGM, Amana Takaful
Preeni Dunuwille Koralege, Chief Compliance Officer & Company Secretary, Amana Bank
Reyaz Mihular, Managing Partner, KPMG
Rifka Ziyard, Senior Manager – Tax & Regulatory, KPMG
Sabri Cader, Associate Director, Adl Capital
Safah Amjad, Legal & Research Associate, GIH Capital
Sarah Afker, Director – Tax & Regulatory, BDO Partners
Shiraz Refai, Chief Manager, Al Falaah Islamic Banking Unit, LOFC
Sideeque Akbar, Head of Consumer Banking & Corporate Communication, Amana Bank
Suresh Perera, Principal – Tax & Regulatory, KPMG
Yasir Maqbool, Regional Head Risk – Sri Lanka & Maldives, HBL
THE P R O G R A M M E
|9.00 a.m.||WELCOME ADDRESS|
|9.15 a.m.||ADDRESS BY CHIEF GUEST|
|9.35 a.m.||KEY NOTE ADDRESS|
|10.00 a.m.||ADDRESS BY THE PRESIDENT OF AAFI|
|Session 1 – CEO ROUNDTABLE – Contributing to Sri Lanka’s growth agenda
· How IBF industry can contributing to the economic growth
· Ail the current crisis
· Has the potential been fully tapped?
· IDB membership to assist the economy?
· Barriers for entry to the IBF industry?
|11.00 a.m.||Refreshments & Networking Break|
|Session 2 – Female minority in IBF
· Unrepresented or untapped?
· Forging a career in Islamic Finance
|Session 3 – Sukuks and Shariah compliant debt product- from Theory to Practice
· Islamic Debt – producing an alternative to the conventional debenture
· Government policy on Sukuks
· Drawing experiences from other regions
· Laws that need to be amended to accommodate Sukuks, Securitizations.
· Listing of Sukuks and Islamic debt products on the CSE
|1.00 p.m.||Lunch Break & Dhuhr Prayers|
|2.15 p.m.||Presentation: Managing Risk in an IFI|
|2.30 p.m.||Session 4 – Evaluating the IBF – Ansoff Matrix
· Market penetration – what has been done to attract the full potential?
· Market development – Is Sri Lanka’s IBF ready to penetrate into other regions
· Product Development – REITS, Credit Cards where do we stand?
· Diversification – Are we losing focus?
· Is a shift needed?
· AAFI role in IBF development
|3.15 p.m.||Presentation – Islamic Microfinance|
|3.30 p.m.||Refreshments & Asr Prayers|
|3.50 p.m.||Session 5 – Intellectual Capital
· Does the IBF have sufficient skilled labour?
· Skills and expectations gap
· The need for a standard paper qualification
· Challenges faced and how they were overcome…. Or were they?
|4.30 p.m.||Q & A with Shariah Advisors & Consultants|
|Close of Conference|
Please note: The Organisers reserve the right to make any amendments to the programme, if required.